North Sydney Community Centre Time Line
- Women and children meet in derelict terraces in Ridge Street before being given lease of old Meals on Wheels building behind Stanton Library. After school program begins.
- Playgroup for Under 5’s begins, driven by the enthusiasm of Jan Gregg and Bruce Barrett.
- Adult classes (run by an energetic group of volunteers) are also established, offering weaving, bread making and pottery – a true reflection of the 70s.
- Centre joins battle to save open space (now Civic Park) from development of two 17-storey office blocks.
- Centre becomes independent of Leisure Movement but keeps the name Leisure Centre. Mid 70s adventure playground is built.
- Dr Doreen Bridges introduces an Early Childhood Music Program to the Leisure centre, “Music and Movement’, continued up to today under the direction of Jane Boyd.
- North Sydney Markets established as the Centre’s main fundraising activity.
- Centre takes its first artists in residence. Aboriginal potter Thancoupie and composer John Shortis.
- Susan Kennett becomes Director of the Centre
- Special Interest talk: Donald Horne - Writer
- Northside Produce Market set up as a second fundraising project.
- North Sydney Market and Northside Produce Market contribute close to 30% of the Centre’s current income and help support wages and other costs involved in the provision of services.
- Leisure Centre is renamed the North Sydney Community Centre.
- Special Interest Event: Women’s rights - Wendy McArthy
- Special Interest Event: Judy Rymer - message from Moccee
- Special Interest Event: Hugh Mackay - Social research & writer
- Special Interest Event: Donald Thorne - Tolerance
- Special Interest Event: Stuart Rees - Non-violence, the road to peace
- Special Interest Event: Dr Helen Caldicott - The nuclear Danger
- Special Interest Event: Hon Dr Carmen Lawrence MP - Women in Politics
- Community Forum starts (Public talks)
- Linda Burney MP - Reviving Reconciliation
- Centre moves into new sustainable-design building.
- Changeable Art program begins.
- 10th Birthday celebration Produce Market (November)
- Susan Howieson becomes Director of the Centre
- Joanna Jouin became Director of the Centre
- Market Tours started
- Community Forum becomes In Conversation
- In Conversation Edwina McCann - Vogue Australia and Sarah Macdonald - writer & radio host
- In Conversation Sibella Court - Stylist Books with Karen McCartney - Designer
- Literacy Lunch with John Mc Dermott, Author of Vintage-Life
- 40th Anniversary of NSCC
- 30th Anniversary of North Sydney Market
- NSCC new website
- In Conversation With The Simpson Sisters – Indigenous textiles, music and visual & performing arts
- 15th Anniversary of Northside Produce Market
- Lunch with Noeline Brown, Australia’s Ambassador for Ageing
- Joined Social Media
- In Conversation: A Country Too Far - Thomas Keneally, Rosie Scott, Denise Leith and Bella Verdramini
- In conversation with Paul Botrill from House of Welcome
- In Conversation: Bettina Deda, Luisa Manfredini – Downsize with Style
- In Conversation: The Life and Times of Marion Mahony Griffin
With Glenda Korporaal and Karen McCartney
- In Conversation: Sally Webb and Sarah MacDonald -Travel Without Tears
- Book launch “The best of Gretta Anna”
- In conversation with Martin Teplitzky and Valli Little
- In Conversation: Dr Munjed Al Muderis – Walking Free with Journalist Scott Bevan
- In Conversation: Ted Mack – Mayor North Sydney with Ray Martin
- In Conversation – Celebrating 100 years Gallipoli
Russell Boyd, Cinematographer, on the Making of ‘Gallipoli’ & Australian Film in the 70’s – Journalist Andrew Urban
- North Sydney Market on Miller renamed Miller Street Market
- Last Miller Street Market (June)
- Launching two Produce Markets (1st and 3rd Saturday of the month) (May)
- Changeable Art renamed Pop Up Art Exhibition
- In Conversation: Creative Women (7 Women and 6 interviewers)
- In Conversation: Wendy Whiteley and Janet Hawley